Friday, February 19, 2010

First post from Beijing!

Well I finally made it in last night after traveling for many hours... Beijing is SO big and I can't even believe that I'm here, it feels so weird waking up in a hotel and realizing that you're halfway across the world. Last night when I got into my hotel room I kept hearing popping sounds and didn't realize what it was until I looked out my window, and I saw fireworks just everywhere across the city. Happy New Years, everyone. It was a wild sight, for sure.

Last night at the airport I did what everyone told me to do, walk to the taxi stand and get into a two-color taxi, but that's when I had a bit of trouble. I showed my taxi driver the address and he said to me in Chinese that he didn't know where that was, and asked what the name of the hotel was. I didn't know the Chinese name, and I couldn't hardly understand a thing he was saying, so I told him sorry a bunch of times in Chinese and that I couldn't understand. We found it after like 40 minutes of driving and I'm pretty sure I paid way too much but I don't care, I was so tired and ready to just get somewhere that I was seemingly familiar with (the hotel) that I just gave him 100元 and he gave me 10 back.

Either way I made it, and took a bunch of pictures which I will post later. Right now it is about 9:30A on the 20th, and I'm going to go throw on a jacket and get my stuff together and go wander around, because I have nothing really to do for the next two days and want to go see what it's like! Eeek.

孔宁

3 comments:

  1. lol u gave him 90 yuan!?!? lol... rachel, don't be so generous in the future :p. if they don't know where it is, just hop on to the next taxi. chinese people in china don't have feelings. 90 is waaaaay too much. if you're too generous they'll try to rip u off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahha. I told my friend who is here and he said 90 was a steal to get to my hotel from the airport! I don't know hahaha. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a walk around squared, is it as big as it looks on TV? What do the people think of your Chinese? How about the food?

    ReplyDelete